Scooter Registration

Registering Class 3 Vehicles

The DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) recently confirmed that all Class 3 vehicles (which include some powered wheelchairs and scooters) must be registered for road use and licensed in the exempt 'disabled' taxation class. This does not apply to Class 2 vehicles. 

Class 3 vehicles are generally larger than Class 2 vehicles and they are capable of exceeding 4mph, but not exceeding 8mph. They are required by law to have lights, indicators, a horn, rear view mirrors and rear reflectors, but they are not allowed to travel on motorways, cycle lanes or bus lanes.  Class 2 vehicles are not allowed on the roads other than to cross them.

To register and license a Class 3 vehicle you need to complete form V55/5 (for used vehicles) or V55/4 (for new vehicles) and take or send the form to your local DVLA office.  You can find your nearest office by telephoning 0870 243 0444, by looking in the V100 information leaflet which is available from post offices that issue tax discs, or by visiting the website  To get the form you need you can either ask your dealer for the appropriate form or call the DVLA on 0870 240 0010 and someone will send you the form you need. 

 You will need to provide evidence of the vehicle's age (if available) and this will need to be submitted with the application together with documentation confirming the keeper's name and address. You will be given a nil duty vehicle licence (tax disk) which you will need to display on your vehicle.

Monday 23 July, 2018